One artist's journey

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Studio Journal: Looking to Gorky

Arshile Gorky's paintings have recently become my foundation for the research about my subject matter and painting style.

His use of line, shape, color, brushstroke, thickness, and composition greatly inform my work.
I feel that his work really touches on his sense of the world around him during his time. My sense of the world is a heavy influence in my own work--being able to connect Gorky's subject matter and tone with his use of mark and paint inspired me in more than one way.

Gorky, Agony I saw this painting in a book in the Art Library as I was skimming books on Gorky. Agony stuck out to me not only for its color and richness, but also for its complex composition and the emotion reaction that I felt as I turned the page and saw it. I could not keep my eyes away and I had a hard time moving past it.

The daring gestural mark and strong emphasis on this spontaneous looking arrangement of shapes creates an atmosphere, much like the one I am searching for

No comments:

Post a Comment