One artist's journey

Friday, November 19, 2010

Studio Journal: Trip to Chelsea Galleries

Going into Chelsea twice within three weeks of each trip allowed me to feel much more connected to the art scene in New York.

I found work that truly spoke to the dialogue that is occurring each day for me.

 Angelina Gualdoni - Aysa Geisberg Gallery

I found Gualdoni's paintings to be very interesting and intriguing. There are many subtleties to the paintings that make them even more appealing to me, and I found that it was the strong marks colliding with the more passive subdued marks that created a layered image. This effect, this quality of the paint, of the surface, of the subject matter, caused me to question where my own subject and techniques arise from. 




Tracey Emin and Louise Bourgeois - Caroline Nitsch Gallery

These works on paper as a collaboration between Louise Bourgeois and Tracey Emin suggest ideas about abandonment, betrayal, lust, depravity, birth, and death.

Tracey Emin, in particular, with her use of text, line drawing, and gouache speaks to a very personal narrative surrounding gender, confrontation,  and vulnerability. These drawings were in "response" to Louise Bourgeois’ drawings, which I find to be a very interesting motivation and challenge in itself. How does one artist relate to another, while using their particular vehicle for making work. The vehicle for Tracey Emin's works was also something that I was looking at.

How does her use of writing, thin, simple line, figures, and sexual references speak to her subject matter and the messages she wants to bring forth with her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment