One artist's journey

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Studio Journal: Using Printmaking to Inform My Paintings

While I have not been able to fit in enough classes to have a printmaking and painting double concentration, I am committed to taking as many printmaking classes as I can. I really find that printmaking and painting are linking, in quite different ways that I would have expected when I first started printmaking, but now I find that my ideas can develop differently, turn in different directions, and can be totally new in a print.

Often times printmaking does not seem to work the same way for ideas in paint. Print is a very structured medium, often a lengthy process, where less can be spontaneous and intuitive. However, I have tried to the fullest degree to incorporate my painting style, such as a lack of drawing before hand, lack of necessary logical thinking, into my prints. It has not come so easy, but I have not given up.

Most recently I have been working on sugar lifts, which are a process in which one takes a mixture of sugar syrup and soap, applies it to a zinc plate and performs many steps to etch the sugary substance into the plate. When it is inked, the parts where the sugar was painted on will print black, as a form of intaglio.

No comments:

Post a Comment